Used Pianos For Sale in NJ
3 Things You Should Know Before Buying a Used Piano
If it’s your first time buying a used piano, the most prominent question on your mind is how do you determine the value of a used piano? Most new entrants into the used piano market often ask this very question. They want to make sure they are getting a bargain and not paying too much for used pianos.
Determining the Price
|Used Pianos For Sale in NJ|
To determine the condition of a piano, look at:
- Condition of the keyboard: Make sure you check each key at low and loud volumes. Also, make sure you check the color of the keys. If they are yellow, then most likely the piano is old.
- Pedals: Do the pedals go limp or are they stiff? Can you see rust on them? There are many issues you should check out when it comes to pedals, so it’s better you get acquainted with each piano pedal first, before you can competently check it out.
- Leg Sturdiness: Wobbly legs are a hazard, and they have to be repaired which reduces the value of the piano.
Those are just the basics, but they should tell you pretty quickly if the piano is valued right. Now, let’s move on to the top 3 things you should know before buying a used piano.
1. Why Is the Piano on Sale?
Most people never look into this, although it’s the most important fact when buying used pianos. If someone tells you they are selling because they need the money or the piano is taking up too much space, then that might be a sign of neglect.
2. Where Has the Piano Been Living?
If a piano was in the basement or the attic, people manage to get them all the way up somehow, then that might be another sign it was neglected.
3. How Many Times Has the Piano Been Tuned?
If the seller cannot provide a tuning schedule, that’s another sign of neglect. Also, if the piano was tuned by Joe down the street then you are looking at a reasonable case for neglect.
We at Rockaway Music want you to find a piano that will make a wonderful addition to your home and that will function as a musical outlet for your family for years to come. To learn more about our used pianos for sale in NJ, please call us today at 973-984-8800. One of our piano experts will be happy to speak to you.